CEO, Alameda Alliance for Health
Scott Coffin is the Chief Executive Officer for the Alameda Alliance for Health, a public managed care health plan that manages nearly one-billion dollars in annual revenues, serving approximately 270,000 residents in Alameda County. Mr. Coffin has worked in health care and hospital administration for more than 24 years, and has dedicated the last 12 years to integrating Medicare and Medicaid services, improving timely access to care, and implementing quality improvement programs for California’s underserved residents.
Areas of expertise and experience include:
- Waiver demonstrations, development & funding strategies with Innovation Center and Region 9 for the Coordinated Care Initiative and 1115 Waiver (Bridge to Reform).
- National, state, and local-level health policy reform; direct experience in policy formulation and oversight with the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) and Department of Managed Health Care (DMHC).
- Active contributor to the drafting of SB 1008, Coordinated Care Initiative, and statewide readiness in seven counties in California through DHCS.
- Statewide migration strategy and implementation of children (Healthy Families) and seniors & persons with disabilities into Medi-Cal managed care.
- Development of community-based partnerships to improve access to care for underserved and aging populations; long-term care, palliative, hospice, and home & community-based services, and integration of the local delivery systems.
- Continuous research of managed health care delivery systems, and health disparities in California’s 58 counties; statewide view of integrated services between county-based organizations, funding models, payment reform, and delivery networks.
- Statewide hospital and health plan funding and contracting, including publicly and privately funded systems of care; risk arrangements and quality incentive programs.
- Access to county-based mental health and substance use services; city-based services for homeless populations and the integration of these benefits into managed care.
- Population health and predictive modeling, implementation of analyses and tools into systems of care for purpose of interventions, complex case management, and system integration; development of benchmarks leveraging state and national data.
- Implemented the 2014 ACA Medicaid Expansion in 13 rural counties in Northern California, managing regulatory compliance and increasing quality scores.
Prior to joining the Alliance, Mr. Coffin served as the Anthem & AmeriGroup executive for the Northern California Medicaid Health Plan, overseeing the operations for 500,000 Medi-Cal members in 18 urban and rural counties. Mr. Coffin founded the DeSante Group LLC, a health care consulting firm which delivered health care integration advisory services to state health officials, health plan and hospital leaders, and to physician executives. He also has held leadership positions with the Health Plan of San Joaquin, Blue Shield of California, Sutter Health Hospitals, and Vision Service Plan.
Mr. Coffin serves as a Commissioner for First 5 of Alameda County, and represents managed care delivery system statewide as a Board member of Local Health Plans of California (LHPC).
Mr. Coffin earned his degree in business administration at California State University in San Bernardino, and continued his professional development and education at Dartmouth College Tuck School of Business.